November 15, 2009

Sunday lovin'

Today me and five other people from school went to the old folks home just to hang out, and it was so much fun! First we went through all five floors, knocking on doors to invite people to come downstairs to join in on the "hymn sing". Because it was at 7 in the evening, most of the elderly people were now getting ready for bed, but we managed to snag a great group of people downstairs with us. We sang a bunch of hymns, great hymns actually, "It is well with my soul", "Rock of Ages", ones like that.

After, we all sat together eating sandwiches and cookies. I became great friends with this woman named Lois. I told her she had a beautiful name, and she looked at me like I was crazy, and that I was the first person who's ever told her that before. Then she told me how she grew up in Calgary and that she was a cowgirl, and of course, I had to bring up the old "Ohh so you must own a pair of cowboy boots!" And she once again looked at me like I was crazy, saying "Heavens no! I never liked those!" Then I went into great detail of how in style they are right now and that I wear mine all the time. When I later told her that my name was Jennifer, she got really excited, saying that that's her daughters name! (I wasn't too surprised, since everyone's daughter seems to be named Jennifer) So I of course brought up the old "Ohh so you like calling her Jenny for short, right??" And like standard routine, she looked at me like I was crazy saying, "Ohhhh no. Why would I ever call her Jenny? Jennifer is her name, so that's what we call her."

Despite our differences, we had fun. There was lots of smiles and laughter, and I think I enjoyed her company more than she enjoyed mine!  :)

It really makes me wonder why I haven't been doing this my whole life. Like, why do I only choose to do this now? My town back home had an old folks home that I drove past everyday, yet I never went inside...

I'm so glad I went tonight. It really feels great getting out of my comfort zone like this, and getting know the people who are wise beyond their years.

Next Sunday we're singing Christmas carols!

2 comments:

  1. That's amazing Jenni! (or should I call you Jennifer?!) Good for you! I can't handle old folks homes, I just cry the whole time. So, needless to say, I'm impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha no no, I get what you're saying about the whole "crying" deal. When we first started singing together I almost burst into tears because it was just so bittersweet!

    ReplyDelete