July 12, 2010

Workin' Girl.

Hey ya'll.
I just wanted to say that no longer is my life running me; rather, I am now running my life. For example, I make my bed every morning. How impressive is that?
Oh yeah, I've also been working a steady job for almost two weeks now, and I love it. Seriously: I. Love. Working.

Never in my life did I think I'd EVER hear myself say that. I used to dread the thought of my future post-university life, knowing that all I had in store was a career. An eternal, indissoluble, stuck-on-a-treadmill, monotonous, routine-set , never-ever-changing, never-ever-exciting JOB.

But right now I realize that I couldn't have been more wrong! The fact that I love working a job that doesn't even involve my ultimate passions and interests, gives me so much comfort because it just makes me think, how much will I love working when I'm doing what I absolutely love to do? Mmm... -cue cheesy grin-

Having this summer job gives me a sense of purpose, like I'm finally good for somethin'. I was considering getting another job on top of this one, because I feel I'm sort of becoming addicted to this whole working thing, but then I decided against it, since nobody would hire a girl who's gonna be quitting in September. ...Or would they? Haha.

This job has many perks. First of all, a PAYCHECK. Second of all, the 20 minute drive there and back gives me more than enough time to enjoy my satellite radio (COUNTRY). Third of all, this job keeps me on my feet all day, which is exactly what I wanted in a job. The last thing I ever want to do is sit in a dark cubicle for 12 hours all by myself and grow tires around my limbs with each breath I breathe. Oh and get this, even after all of this runnin' around, I still go to the gym after work with my... -drumroll please-... new gym membership!! But my most favorite perk of all, is all the different people I encounter everyday. Seriously, they make my day, everyday. One day this old man came in with old newspaper print-outs and showed me pictures of him holding muskrats that he caught from back in 1968; he was so proud. Then there's all these parents who come in with their children. It's incredible, because these little 4 year-olds all earn their own loonies and toonies, then their parents bring them to the store tellin' them to spend their money wisely, then when they bring their purchases to the counter, the kids count out their own coins and it's just the cutest thing. Children are much smarter these days. I always tell the parents that their kids are going to be so great with money when they're older.
I also see so many people that I know, or that I haven't seen in years, and it's just wonderful.

And it's not just the customers that I love, it's the people I work with. They're all very patient and friendly with me, which is exactly the kind of encouragement I need when I'm starting out something new like this.

I know for a fact that I was meant to have this job since half-an-hour after I handed them my resume, a girl had decided to quit. Ha ha ha. Talk about good timing. Talk about God's timing.
One disadvantage to this job is that while I'm soaking my hands in dirty and contaminated bills and coins, I'm also licking my fingers to open plastic bags. Yes, it's definitely a lose-lose process, and who knows how many little critters are currently floating around inside me...

Oh, and did I mention that they play the pop/rap/hip-hop station on the radio? You can only hear B.O.B and his airplanes so many times in one day before wanting to wring out someone's neck.

Today was the first day that I didn't mess up at the cash register (usually I press the wrong button, I over-charge, I under-charge ect.) Also, this evening in the shower I was also able to name each of the aisles and their contents off the top of my head for the first time. (this comes in handy for those "excuse me, but do you know where I could find the...." kind of moments at work.)

But I'm gonna have to say that the highlight of my day was picking up a bag of not-supposed-to-be-open bird seed and spilling it ALL over the floor. Yes, let's do that again...
All I can think right now is that something is bound to go wrong, since life can't always be this great. Right?

2 comments:

  1. LOVE IT!!!!!! See! Workin' isn't all that bad afterall! Who knew!?!?! I'm glad you're having fun at your new job! Where did you get your gym membership? Do you do cardio or do you lift weights too (bulk up baby!!!)?
    Love the birdseed story.
    We learnt that on sunday, that God's timing is ALWAYS perfect. Afterall, he created time!

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super cool that you got a job!! When jobs are just jobs and don't carry the weight of "career" it's so fun. So much less pressure! :) Glad you're having fun, and feeding the birds at the same time.

    ReplyDelete