December 30, 2009

New Arrivals, Fears, and Kids.

I decided to go shopping in the city today. I figured, oh what the hey, everything must be on MAJOR sale right now, so I might as well do all of my shopping before the new year comes around...right? 
WRONG. Me being me, of course, mindlessly (yet purposely) inch my way toward the New Arrivals. I mean, you have to agree with me that "New Arrivals" certainly sounds better than "Last Seasons Old Rags". It has a captivating ring to it...sigh. I am ridiculous.
But anyway, with my Christmas money I bought myself a new camera, a white coat, and little brown boots. And other than the fact that I ignored the sale rack completely, I am quite pleased with myself, because I can now stroke a few items off my "Christmas Vacation To-Do List". :)


I just realized something; I love hanging out with kids. And I can't believe that I of all people just typed something like that. A year ago I never would've said it nor thought it. In fact, kids have always scared me for the most foolish and dumbest reasons. Kids are honest. They're not afraid to say what they're thinking or express any/all of their opinions. I am terrified of rejection and get embarrassed easily. Therefore, if a kid doesn't like me and decides to proclaim it to the world, I would be hurt beyond belief and I would never forget the distressing memory. Like honestly, you know you have low self-esteem when you live in fear of a five-year-old's rejection.
But I don't know...there's something about leaving home for a long period of time that changes you. I don't seem to care about this whole "kid-phobia" thing anymore, and after my family gathering I just had tonight, I became conscious of that. When all of my teenage and young adult cousins had left the gathering, then I, refusing to have a binge-fest at the dessert counter, simply walked up to a table that was surrounded by four of my little cousins, and joined them in a game of "Pictureka". You see, a year ago I never would've done that. In fact, I had a habit of sticking around the older adults and just observing their "adult" conversations. But this time around, I just naturally decided to chill with the kids instead, as if it was something I've always done my whole life. I had so much fun with them, and you know why? Because a) kids are so intrigued with every word you say. b) they laugh at ALL your jokes, and pretty much anything you say. c) they actually listen to you. And d) kids are just so darn cute.
My favorite moment was when my little cousin asked me: "Do your cheeks ever get sore?"
"Err...no...why?" I replied.
"Because you smile ALL the time!"
And then I smiled some more. :)

2 comments:

  1. I FEEL THE SAME WAY ABOUT KIDDIES!!! Except I started loving them about two years ago. I told you Jenni; we are the twins. Separated at birth!

    Also, I am glad you figured out all of those facts about children. *Cough so obvious cough*... I learned those things before I exited the womb. Get with the times, Jennifer. Teehee.

    LOVE YOUUUUU. ♥♥♥


    P.s. - Here's a song you will love!

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9c-4z5H43F0

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute!!!! Wait till Alora can talk, I'm sure she'll love having some conversations with you!! By the way, nice sweater in your photo with the lil' Cousins!!

    Miss you!

    ReplyDelete