October 28, 2015

My Favourite Things About Fall.

The Fall season has absolutely, 100% arrived here in Maryland.

Do I like that the weather is getting colder? No.
Do I enjoy having to wear layers upon layers of clothing in my own home? No.
Do I look forward to having to wake up at 5:45 AM only to open my eyes to nothing but total darkness? No!
Am I attracted to all of this insanely-tacky-redneck-backyard-Halloween decor? Uhh, no.
Do I love the colour orange? NO. Absolutely not.

Reading what I've just written, I can totally understand if you assume that I'm some kind of Autumn "Scrooge". Haha! Trust me, I'm not! Every season has its own set of pros and cons, and those just happen to be my "cons". So, to redeem my pessimistic tendencies, I decided to make a list of my top favourite things about the season of Fall. Some are cliche and others are just a bit out of the ordinary. Enjoy! ;)

1. Let us begin with the most obvious of them all, shall we? PUMPKIN SPICED LATTES FROM STARBUCKS. I love this $5.00 drink to bits and pieces. The only good thing about this drink coming to its seasonal end is that Starbuck's Caramel Brulee Latte makes its big reveal! Eeee!!

2. One of my most favourite things about Fall is that October and November are the months when Taylor Swift has released every single one of her albums. When the leaves start to change and the air gets a little crisper, Taylor Swift is all I ever play. Of course she releases albums every few years, so in years such as this one when no new album is being released, I listen to ALL of her music on repeat. Hopelessly, fall will always remind me of Taylor Swift.

3. This one is yet another obvious one, but I love the vibrant colours of the leaves. I really don't think that someone could ever appreciate autumn leaves as much as the girl who moved from the Canadian prairies to the eastern coast of the USA. (I'm talking about me, here!) My childhood autumns consisted of one week of beautiful, fluffy, colorful trees. Before I'd know it, the wind would circle around once and the trees would reveal themselves....totally naked. Depressing, I know! Whereas in Maryland, autumn lasts SOOOO long! It's amazing! And every day on my drive home from work my eyes are just taken captive by the trees, and I somehow put my body on "auto-pilot" when driving. I am such a good multitasker...

4. September will always bring back good memories for me because it's the start of the academic school year. All the way until high school I couldn't sleep the night before the very first day because I'd be so excited! My new back-to-school outfit was always laid out on the floor, and my backpack full of new binders and clean notepaper was right there next to it. And after graduation, every September I'd wake up in a different place...British Columbia, Germany, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Ontario, and now for the second autumn in a row: Maryland. New beginnings and fresh starts have always been my thing.

5. Thanksgiving with family. A date marked on the calendar for the whole family to be together around a table full of delicious food?! A holiday dedicated entirely on FOOD and FAMILY? Yes please.

6. The only, only, only positive outcome of the weather getting colder is that my desire for scorching hot food increases. Yes, I'm talking soup! Soup is one of my favourite things to cook, and in the past three days I have cooked three different soups. Creamy Broccoli soup (at work), Vegetarian Vegetable soup (at work), and my personal favourite which I made at home: Farmer Sausage Potato Bacon Corn Chowder. It is as a mouthful to say as it is a mouthful to eat.

7. Hockey season begins! Watching the Winnipeg Jets are one of mine and Jarryd's most favourite things to do! (Unfortunately, they lost last night 4-1... :'( But, we shall prevail!) It is so much fun cozying up on the couch with Cokes, Beers, and oodles & toodles of junk food and cheering our Jets on. (And how lucky am I that my husband's favourite team is my very own hometown team?! Whaaat?!) Together we have been to two Jets games, and this winter we are planning to change that to a whopping three!

Because I simply cannot think of anymore...The End! I hope you feel inspired to go out and invest your hard earned cash into a $5.00+ drink from Starbucks. <3 ;)

1 comment:

  1. My favorite things about Autumn are: 1. Hot chocolate 2. Fresh Cookies 3. Thanksgiving 4. Fireplaces 5. Snow 6. Hot tubs :) otherwise its pretty much the worst season. haha

    ReplyDelete