August 17, 2015

You Must Become An Island.


I've been on a real Sara Bareilles kick as of late. Frankly, for many years she has been on my iTunes, neglected and gathering dust.

And then her single "Brave" came out. A song that was so powerful to me. I WANNA SEE YOU BE BRAVE! (Isn't that what we all wish we were? Brave?)

One thing lead to another and suddenly I have her entire "The Blessed Unrest" album, and it is All. I. Play. In. The. Car.

Trust me, I am not trying to write a music review anything, but I am in love with this album. Her voice is not exactly my favourite female voice in the world, but nonetheless she sings well and her range is quality stuff!

The best thing though, is that she writes and/or co-writes all of her music.

Anyone who knows me, knows that I am all about the lyrics. The only element that truly draws me into a song is not the beat, the melody, or sound, it's the lyrics. And Sara Bareilles is an AMAZING songwriter.

Not to make things heavy, but a song that she wrote called "Islands" is about breaking up with a loved one, and needing to be completely OK with being alone...having total separate lives, with no connection...being an "island".

Sometimes I like to change the meaning of a song to fit my current mood and feelings. (Does anyone else do this too?) I'm definitely not going through a breakup, so I like to listen to this song when I'm feeling particularly introverted, desiring to hide away from the world, and not wanting to let anybody get too close to me.

My goal is to learn this on the piano, or her other teary balled, "Manhattan". Perhaps I'll give it a go tonight. <3

Waiting for the bus stop
Waiting for the concrete black top to settle down
Long enough for me to get off and get a little ground

I'm ready for the sea change

Helpless felt this coming from a mile away

And now you're looking at me babe, and how we'll separate if we can
Cause I still count on one hand the number of good men I know

It's like I'm standing on the edge with just a telephone wire

Trying to get to you first to say the world's on fire

Holding my breath until I know you're alright
Because the water will only rise
When will you realize
You must become an island
You must become an island
You must become an island
And see for yourself that that's what I am

You always dirty up the windows

If you keep 'em at bay that way no one's gonna surprise you by getting too close

Anybody but me though
You've made exceptions to you rules
And now we're staring down truth neither one of us wants to know

It's like I'm standing on the edge with just a telephone wire

Trying to get to you first to say the world's on fire

Holding my breath until I know you're alright
Because the water will only rise
When will you realize
You must become an island
You must become an island
You must become an island
And see for yourself the horizon is all we have

No comments:

Post a Comment