October 13, 2010

Astronomical Grace

I don't even know what to say. There's so much on my mind these days. The lectures spoken by Peter Reid are...amazing. Absolutely amazing. I learn something one minute, prepare to soak it all in, and then I'm bombarded with more words of wisdom. It's almost overwhelming...but it's a good kind of overwhelming. If that makes sense. I think I'm gonna start putting some of these things I'm learning on this blog.


Last night after dinner, something upset me. I'm not gonna get into, but I walked into lectures with a terrible mindset. One that said, "I'm gonna sit here, slouching in my seat. I'm not gonna write a thing down, because I just don't feel like it. Pffff!" Eventually I started pickin' up my pen and my posture, but only because I felt that it would look better, or more aesthetically appealing, and that I may as well just suck it up. Vain? Yes.

Then the teacher showed us a 43 minute clip on the projector. It was called "Indescribable" --a sermon preached by a man named Louie Giglio. Even though I had seen this video once before from my sunday school days, it still blew my mind. And to be honest, my mindset changed in a snap. His sermon was like a slap in the face, reminding me how small I really am, along with my problems, and how big God is. To put it boldly, God is HUGE. In the video Louie shows the very first picture ever taken of our planet earth. It's gorgeous, it's beautiful. Then he shows us a picture of the milky way, the galaxy in which our earth sits. Then he shows a picture of what our galaxy is sitting in. Then he showed a picture of something so amazing that I'm not even gonna try and describe it on this blog. Immediately I shook my head. What a fool I am for believing for even a second that my problems could even compare to something like that. What was bothering me before lectures, didn't mean a thing to me after this video. I felt like screaming to the whole world: Um, excuse me, but we are all just mere specks of dust in God's amazing creation!!

But what really gets me, is the fact that even though I feel so extremely small, along with my problems, concerns, issues, fears, and worries..is that God actually cares about them. He actually CARES. "You have kept record of my days of wandering; you have stored my tears in your bottle and have counted each of them." Psalm 56:8 is one of my favorite verses in the Bible, because it reminds me of his love for me. Me and You.

I want to encourage to whoever is reading this, to watch that video (I'd link it to here, but Youtube is blocked here), and just let it be reminder to you. Or maybe let it even be a revolution to you. The stars in the sky are an example of God's astronomical grace. I mean, how could you look at sights like the stars, the sun, the moon, even the Swiss Alps and not believe that there was a creator?

Love Jenny.

3 comments: