January 14, 2010

Whiplash.

In case you haven't noticed, I haven't blogged in awhile. "Awhile" meaning 5 days... Now that I'm back in university, I can already predict that things will be different than they were over Christmas break. The whole 'writing a blog entry right before bed' deal is history.


Sunday, was an interesting day. A roller-coaster you may say. I woke up at 4:30 AM, was running on 3 1/2 hours of sleep, tired as EVER. I loaded up my luggage into the trunk of the car, and my parents drove me to the city. You're probably thinking, OK, why on earth is she selling all of this pointless information to me? Get on with it! We were heading to the airport. It's simple as that, right? WRONG. While being half asleep in the backseat of the car, I awoke from a gasp escaping my Mom, a foot slamming on the brake, tires skidding on ice, and a sudden impact resulting in a sore neck, a.k.a, whiplash. I remember right after the hit, everything was still and silent. As the smelly gray air filled the inside of the car, we were all drowning in our thoughts, well, at least I was. It was shockingly slow motion. I couldn't believe it. We got into a car accident! This kind of stuff doesn't happen to me! I don't understand! After realizing that everyone in the car was still thankfully alive and unscratched, I reached into my purse for my cell phone, but I couldn't find it. In fact, it was empty. Looking past my knees, I found all of the contents of my purse scattered around my feet. ...Now how the heck did that happen? Out of sudden impulse, I grabbed my camera and started snapping pictures of the collided cars; Mine was definitely totaled. While being outside I was shaking like CRAZY, a mixture of the brutal winter weather and of course, the accident. It was weird hearing the sirens coming for me...that never happens. I had to say goodbye to my parents at the scene of the accident, and then I took a cab the rest of the way to the airport. Strangely enough, it was hard to say goodbye to my parents, but it was easy to tell them that I loved them. Usually I have to remind myself to say I love you! But this time, it just slipped right out, and it felt natural and genuine.


I was lucky enough to have one of my guy friends with me during the accident and on one of my flights, because he definitely kept me sane. He kept me from thinking too much about it...by drawing pictures on the Air Canada barf bag.
But once we parted ways in the Edmonton airport I began to realize how much I actually love my family. I am so blessed. I can't even describe how lucky I feel when I think about my family.


When I arrived at the airport, two of my best friends were there to greet me, holding up a sign saying "WELCOME HOME JENNI" I was soooo happy. Then as I opened the door to my room, there were pink streamers drawn across the windows, pastel-colored balloons filled the room, and posters saying "HAPPY BIRTHDAY JEN JEN". 
I am definitely at home. :)





2 comments:

  1. AWwe Jenni! you have the bestest friends! I love them for being so nice to you :) taking care of my little Jenni when I can't.

    Funny how an accident throws everything into perspective. What is really important in your life, what you really want to live like now that you're alive, who you can count on when it matters most, and Who you simply can't live without.

    :) I love you!! I'm glad you're all okay. I miss you.

    Thanks for writing in your blog! I missed that too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I missed the blogging as well! What a wonderful welcome back surprise!!
    I am glad everyone could walk away from the accident! Love you!

    ReplyDelete