August 25, 2009

Unexpected.

Today something happened, and it was the last thing I'd ever imagine happening.

It was like any other normal summer day. You know, waking up to the sun shining through your bedroom window (actually these days it's pretty rare to see the sun come out from hiding), warming your insides with a cup of green tea, and then finishing off your morning with a cold shower after an intense workout.

And since I'm leaving town soon, it only makes sense that I'd try to see as many people as I can before making the big move. A lunch date with two wonderful friends was the plan. So, one of my friends picked me up at my house, no big deal or anything...until...we're driving north down the highway. In the distance we see an abnormal number of cars all gathered around this one, typically popular intersection. We both don't think much of it, and continue talking about who knows what. As we approach this intersection we're starting to think,

OK...what is going on....?,

The foot gently steps on the brake, and as our speed slows, our speech also become sluggish, with our words obliviously hanging in the air. We are crawling and weaving our way through the parked cars in the middle of the intersection, and our heads turn to the right facing all of the commotion.

I see a motorcycle lying on the road, on its side. And it wasn't like it was just resting on its kickstand and the wind just decided to push it over. It was lying on its side like it wasn't supposed to even be there, lying on its side. Like something wasn't right. My eyes frantically search the area.

I see people randomly scattered, standing with their arms folded tightly in front of them, and others with their hands to their faces. No, something definitely wasn't right. My eyes are frantically searching again.

I see a man in a brown t-shirt doing the motions of CPR. My eyes follow from this mans head, all the way down to his hands being pressed against someone else's body.

Wait...a body?!

My hand launched to cover my mouth. My eyes widened.

Blood. That's all I remember. Blood drenching the body, and blood being streaked across the hot pavement.

I tried so desperately to divert my eyes...but I couldn't. If I hadn't had been in the passenger seat of a moving vehicle, I don't think I could've ever looked away. I know it sounds bad, and you're probably thinking, how could you not look away from such a gory scene? But it's hard and definitely not easy to explain, because it's not something you ever think you're ever going to see, so your brain just has a hard time processing every slow and painful second of it.

It was so. so. so. scary. And even though it's not the first time I've seen something like this before, I was still in total shock after.
As we drove on, and saw the flashing lights of the ambulances, police cars, and fire-trucks rushing to the scene, the worst thoughts just come to mind.

Who died? Whose blood did I just see? Do I know this person? What if it's "so and so" ? Or this person? I know "this person" and they own a motorcycle...what if...?

Like, all of these agonizing thoughts just cross your mind and they just torture you.

Later on in today I found out who it was. He lived just outside of my town. I'd never known him, I'd just heard of him. It was a motorcycle and pick-up truck collision.

It's crazy to think how often these things happen, all around the world, every second of the day. And even though this man in the accident today didn't make it, it still really makes me appreciate every police officer, paramedic, and fire-fighter out there. It feels good to know that there's people out there who are just so brave and strong at heart.

So yeah, all you can really do right about now is pray. Just pray for anything and everything.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another beautiful post Jenni. I agree especially with the last 2 lines you wrote. Pray. The love of my life is one of those firemen racing with lights and sirens blazing, not knowing what he will face. How he will be able to help. Everytime I hear his pager go off and he leaps up from our life, I pray. For him. For the people who need him in that moment. For us (his family) who need him forever. For the families involved in each and every situation. One thing his involvment with the fire department has taught me. Is to pray.

    ReplyDelete