January 6, 2010

Pants Pants Pants!

Today while I was in the car with my Dad, he suddenly said to me, you need to get a career in teaching, or healthcare. One where you can work with people.
Confused, I asked him why. He then replied with, because you're good with people. 
This little compliment brought a smile to my face, and the funny thing is that he has no idea how greatly I appreciated hearing it. Because honestly, apart from falling in love with a guy 5 feet tall, my greatest fear is being told: Jen, you are socially inadequate/retarded/awkward/lacking. And nobody wants to be told that, right?

Life is one big thrill ride. It's super exciting, and I am loving every moment of it. And I have to admit that apart from all of the stress and worry, it's kind of exhilarating having absolutely NO idea what's around the corner. For example, I have no idea what I'm doing this summer, along with having zero clue of what school I'll be attending in the fall. One thing that I need to tell myself everyday is that life isn't about me. The world doesn't revolve around me, and my so-called "problems" and "bad days" are merely ant hills compared to other peoples' mountains of heartbreak and poverty. Among the five million trillion books that I'm in the middle of, I'm currently reading The Purpose Driven Life. You're supposed to read only one chapter a day, but me being me, of course, prefer to read four chapters a day. But anyway, whenever I'm feeling directionless or caught up in my own insignificant and silly goals, this books helps me more than you know. It just reminds me that God is the reason we're on this earth, and that he gave us our gifts and talents for an extraordinary and phenomenal purpose. And I honestly can't wait to realize what I was made for.

What's also cool is that I bought my first pair of Lululemon yoga pants today! Who would've thought that comfort like this could be found on the earth itself? And despite my long legs, these suckers are SO long on me! O Happy Day!

5 comments:

  1. Shenandoah U has a good Nursing program!!! I'm just sayin'... a little girl might like having her Auntie around!!!

    love you!

    ps: I agree, you are not socially inadequate at all... and I think working with people would be good for you (and even better for them!)... dare I say it... even working with children!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha.. you? socially Awkward???? yea right you big stinker. you most definitely aren't. you might as well become a teacher. I hear its pretty rewarding. I also hear you don't get much money. but you do get a nice summer break.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know much about what career path you should take, but I DO know that I love your new pants! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You bought those pants with me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you enjoy it when, at the end of your life, you keep hearing over and over how socially acceptable and outwardly attractive your entire life has been. Seriously. I wish I could be that person, but frankly, those are things I just don't give a damn about. I can easily and without regret live with my sometimes-greasy, always-unstyled hair, the bags under my eyes, the fact that my BMI is not slightly below average, because with every single one of those things that I'm ignoring, I'm making room in myself for the things that matter - the things that change the world.

    The homeless, the starving, the addicted, the hunted.

    They don't care what your hair looks like, or how well your pants fit you. It doesn't matter what kind of music you listen to, or how many friends you have. What matters to them is that you're there, and you're fighting to save them, to let them live.

    None of us fit the mold. It was destroyed *turns on ominous voice* In The Beginning. To think that we have a right trying to fit into a shattered mold is selfish and more than a little stupid.

    ReplyDelete