May 28, 2015

Culinary School Diaries - Part 1


So here I was, enjoying my day off, sitting on my bed whilst reading my culinary textbook and indulging in a box of chocolates...(from Christmas...also I don't really like these boxed chocolates...I'm sorry but chocolates filled with "raspberry cream" and "orange cream"?! No thank you.)...when I suddenly had this weird rush of unexplainable drive and ambition, (trust me, this does not happen often). I ran over to my hutch and emerged from it my stacks of textbooks, binders, and duo-tangs that I've kept safely since my time at culinary school.

I want to write about my experience at culinary school!

I know, I know, I have mentioned it before on the blog that I wanted to write about it, so it's not like this is news to anyone. But I'm going to approach it in an entirely different way than I had originally envisioned. Rather than hammering out all 8 months onto one overly-lengthy blog post, I'm going to turn it into a series of blog posts, if you will. Posts that I will publish in a random manner, not consecutively---to keep y'all on your toes.

It will be way less overwhelming for me, as I can take my own sweet time with each individual post and try my hardest to remember all of the important details. (Be gracious, as it has been a year since I was in school). And it will also be more convenient for you, the reader, to enjoy it, because who really has the time to read a 10,000 word blog post? Not I!

Moreover, I do think it will be a nice read for those of my friends and family who aren't too familiar with what exactly goes on at a culinary school. I mean, growing up, I didn't have a single friend, or relative who graduated from culinary school. Maybe it's because all of my friends and family are already so good at cooking ;) (Fabulous cooking is totally a Mennonite thing that I missed the train on a few times, but it's safe to say that I'm finally aboard it and enjoying the ride).

With that said, I need to make clear that this is nothing to get your hopes up for. I'm not writing this series to impress anyone, it's more of a self-journey type of thing. The whole concept very much reminds me of when I wrote 19 blog entries dedicated to my Israel Trip in 2010. Yes, it was for friends and family to live the experience with me, but I mostly wrote it for when I'm 50 years old and suddenly get the urge to re-read all of my archived blog posts and remember how silly I used to be. It's only been 5 years since that trip to Israel, but when I re-read those entries I can't even believe I forgot half of the things I wrote down! (Does anybody else re-read their old blog entries, or do I just have too much time on my hands?) And that is what I want for this culinary series, to record all of the interesting details before they get lost in the depths of my brain, never to resurface again! :O

Anyway, back to what I was saying; don't get your hopes too high. I didn't take as many photos at school as I should have, and the photos that I did take were taken with an uber--crappy-- IPod Touch camera. Also, I don't have any rough drafts written, so I have no idea how many blog posts could be in this series. Could be 5, or it could be 20. Who knows?!

I am super excited for this and it feels so good to have some goals dedicated to this blog! Thanks for reading, and I hope you are excited for this too!! :)

Happy Dining!

Oh and P.S- The new Masterchef season has begun! YAY!

3 comments:

  1. Awe and here I thought this was going to be a post about your Culinary school experience. Turns out it was just a post telling us that you were going to write a post one of these days. haha. oh well..Time to school you in Halo again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha oh you are hilarious! I just wanted to keep you in suspense. And the last time I checked, I schooled you in Halo. ;)

      Delete
    2. Bahahahahaha you wish.

      Delete