November 2, 2012

Waiting.

I found this website called "All Groan Up" (thank you, Kaila! I owe you one!), which is all about learning to make the best out of this awkward stage of life called your 20's. Lord knows I am totally in it now--going from job to job, constantly second-guessing my future career choices, thinkin' about marriage, feeling "old", feeling "poor"(thanks to rent!), and suffering from obsessive-comparison disorder. So this website really did knock on my door at the perfect time.

At this time in my life, I feel like I'm ALWAYS waiting for SOMETHING. I'm waiting to find a better job. I'm waiting for marriage. I'm waiting to go to culinary school. I'm waiting for some sign from God. I'm waiting for this...and waiting for that.
When I went to Bible school in Germany, our principle always told us, "In God's eyes, waiting time is never wasted time". So often in this period of "waiting" we just want time to fly so we can just get to where we want to be. But this time of "waiting" is really a time of growing! There's so much that can be done in it!

And that's pretty much what this article, "There is No Such Thing As Waiting" is all about...take a look:


The only constant is change.
We have all heard that phrase at some point or another during our twenty-or-thirtysomething lifespan.  However, when it comes to waiting, the above phrase seems a tease.
Personally, I feel teased right now. And taunted. Relocation to my home city, after spending one year on the East Coast, has me energized…and yet, confused.  I find myself, a very capable, confident individual, not sure of the next step—taunted by the current atmosphere of waiting.
But does it have to be this way?
Problem with waiting
Photo by Tom Magliery – Creative Commons
Waiting can be tough because waiting masks itself as stagnancy.  Our creative Millennial Generation does not fare well with stagnancy–especially when we have a song in our hearts and a vision coming to life deep within us.  Waiting seems incongruent with success and forward movement…but is it really?
I would like to propose that truly, there is no such thing as waiting.  Since time is constantly in motion, as is the world and everything in it, I believe that we are also ever in movement.  When used wisely, periods of waiting can be active, rewarding and revitalizing.


1. Waiting is RESTORATIVE.
In a culture full of fast-paced competition and addictions to instant gratification, a return to a state of rest is a most fulfilling (and needed) act.  We are mere human beings with limitations, so allowing ourselves to rest, reflect, and rejuvenate will prove humbly worthwhile in the long run.  Consider a waiting season as an opportunity for whole-self restoration, be it involving prayer, exercise, connecting with people, reading for pleasure, or journaling.  Find what restores you and seek it out.

2. Waiting is PREPARATORY.
I’d argue that one of the best ways to use periods of waiting is in learning and growing.  Expanding one’s mind through reading books, watching films, taking classes, or learning a new craft or skill is priceless…and can be used in the long-run.  What have you been itching to learn about, but have not had the time to until now?  Pursue that and prepare your mind for the future.

3. Waiting is RECONNECTING.
During all-consuming times when life moves like rapid-fire, it is easy to lose sight of what is most important.  When was the last time you reflected upon your most closely held values? Times of waiting are perfect opportunities to slow down, remember the past, and reconnect to what matters the most.  Is it family?  Learning?  Creativity?  Revisiting what is most vital to your well-being now, as opposed to later, will serve as a guide when the going gets crazy again.

4. Waiting is REVEALING.
Perhaps you have never stopped to consider what is most important to you, what makes you you. You are unique–now is the time!  Waiting periods prove an ideal chance to discover your values, passions, goals, and motivations.
When it comes to waiting, what choice will you make?

2 comments:

  1. It's such a good site hey?! He totally nails it. I just started following your twitter - I don't have one so I just bookmarked it. Posted a quote today from it that I loved from Sex and the City - thanks!

    Did you sign up for his ebooks? I get his weekly emails. I'm guessing you did already.

    ps) I LOVE David Nail so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should totally get a twitter!! It's awesome; it keeps me so informed on world news too/presidential election! (if you're into that sorta thing haha)

    And no I actually didn't sign up for his ebooks. I totally need to though!

    Yes, David Nail IS awesome!! I don't know his new CD all too well though. I'm still kinda stuff on the old one...I just love it so much!

    ReplyDelete