January 20, 2012

Career-Wise

Okay. I'm going to admit it. I'm lost. I don't know what to do.

I'm 21 years old, I've been enrolled in three different colleges; I've tried out three different majors, and yet STILL I am clueless as to what I want to do career-wise.

I'm trying not to worry, because I have Jeremiah 29:11 written on my whiteboard and I trust it...at least I'm trying my best to...but at the same time I don't want to be passive. The last thing I wanna do is sit around and wait for a door to fly open, or a window.

Since I'm only in four classes this semester (YAY!!!) I have time to LIVE and BREATHE, so I fiddled around on the internet and took a "find a career that suits your personality" quiz and 30 questions later, it figured me out to a TEE!

You like working and being alone. You like to avoid attention at all costs. You tend to keep to yourself, and not interact much with the people around you. You enjoy spending time with a few a close friends. You like to listen to others, but don't like sharing much about yourself. You are very quiet and private.

You are very practical, and only act after thinking things through. You don't like being forced to answer quickly. You have to evaluate the situation completely. You make decisions based on what you can verify with your senses.

You like to be deeply involved in one or two special projects. You like to be behind the scenes. You are very logical and fair. You feel you should be honest with others and protect their feelings.

You trust your gut instincts. You are easily inspired and trust that inspiration. You are very innovative. You analyse things by looking at the big picture. You are concerned about how what you do affects others. You worry about your actions and the future. You tend to use a lot of metaphors and are very descriptive and colourful in your choice of language.

You are very creative, and get bored easily if you don't get to express yourself. You like to learn new things. You don't like the same old routine. You like to leave your options open.


And then it listed some careers, a few of which I'd be interested in for sure, but some that I almost gagged at such as: nurse, paralegal, vet, and university professor. Professor? Really?? (Not that there's anything wrong with those careers, I'm just thankful other people are most suited for those than I am!)

Just for fun I compiled a list of my DREAM jobs. Please notice the word "dream" in CAPITOL LETTERS. These are just my ideals, my dreams...so there's no need to wave your arms at me in fear that I'm going to drop outta college and fly away like a feather! (Although that does sound appealing at the moment... Here we are:

Travel consultant.
Professional Blogger. (ohhh to get paid for diligent blogging...)
Stay-at-home Novelist. (imagine writing books from the comfort of your own couch?)
High School Guidance Counsellor.
Women's Counsellor in a church.
Book Publicist/Editor.
Baker. (Speaking of which, I'm gonna make Smore Bars this weekend!!)
Photographer.
Videographer.
Singer-Songwriter. (if only I could play the piano and sing at the same time--it's quite a skill...)
Professional Traveler. (Yes, I would like to get paid for traveling the world. Haha)
Missionary. (I really need to go on a missions trip one day...)
A Christian Magazine columnist.
Interior Designer.
Librarian.

So as you can see, I love books, traveling, and helping people. (not necessarily in that order though!)

With that list written down...I still feel like I did when I started this. Lost. I would love to be skilled at all of these things, but I don't know which is the best for me or which would be God's will for me.

The best thing for me to do would be to just try things out, and see what comes of it! This sounds better than just sitting around worrying my life away. I'm just trying not to be upset with myself...because when I graduated from high school in 2009, I pictured myself to be almost finished my undergraduate degree and working at a career I love in a place that I love!

It's funny though. Three years later, I feel like I have succeeded in many ways. My definition of success has transformed immensely from its original state. I feel like I've succeeded in certain areas of my maturity, my thinking, and my friendships/relationships. I'd say those are more important than a nice job and a pretty apartment.

No comments:

Post a Comment