October 27, 2011

Christian Music.

"Your Love Never Fails" by Jesus Culture is currently my favourite song right now.
It's the song I crank up when I'm getting ready in the morning; it's the song I listen to when I'm lying in my bed relaxing. And it's also my favourite song in chapel! I love it!


Nothing can separate
Even if I ran away
Your love never fails

I know I still make mistakes
But You have new mercies for me everyday
Your love never fails

You stay the same through the ages
Your love never changes

There may be pain in the night but joy comes in the morning
And when the oceans rage
I don't have to be afraid
Because I know that You love me
Your love never fails

The wind is strong and the water's deep
But I'm not alone in these open seas
Cause Your love never fails

The chasm is far too wide
I never thought I'd reach the other side
But Your love never fails

You make all things work together for my good!



Christian/worship music and I have had an interesting relationship. I loved it as a kid growing up. All I ever listened to was Zoe Girl and Superchick...and I thought Christian music was the only music that existed!
As I entered into Jr. High I got sucked into the world of pop and hip hop and I definitely thought that Christian music was so far from "cool".
As high school ended and my first few years of college rolled by, I fell in love with country, absolutely in love. But I then began to notice that a lot of my friends at Bible college were listening to Christian music. One of my friends even expressed to me that her favourite thing to do every Sunday morning was to blast worship music in her room while getting ready for church. I thought to myself and knew for a fact that this wasn't my favourite thing to do at all.
Now that I'm entering my third year of college, I feel like I have grown some. I feel like I'm at that stage when I FINALLY understand why my parents taught me the things they taught me. So, instead of me viewing them as "ignorant of the times" or just ridiculous, I see them as WISE. Every word of advice and every rule they laid on me now suddenly makes perfect sense. And I kick myself everyday just wishing that I could have seen this as a kid. Ah well, it is all part of the growing experience, isn't it?
Anyway, my parents always told me to be careful as to what movies I watch and what music I listen to. Right now I am definitely realizing this. I cannot stand secular pop, hip hop, or top 40 music. I just hate what they are filling into the mind's of kids these days! Music is just such a powerful thing--and this is why I'm becoming very wary of what I listen to. It is just awfully hard these days with shopping malls blasting these songs, or even living in the context of a dorm, you can always hear somebody's music playing songs you don't necessarily want to hear. Sigh.
As I have been growing closer to God I have been starting to crave listening to worship and Christian music. I find it incredibly encouraging and just plain appropriate! I also think attending chapel 5 days a week and listening to the worship team has had some effect on me. I'm just happy because I am no longer forcing myself to listen to Christian music or am pretending to like it. I have actually fallen in love with it because I know it is good for me and that it can only help lead me down the right path.

No comments:

Post a Comment