August 15, 2012

It Does Not Define Me.


Things are going well, -and I'm not just saying that because this is communicated via Internet and everyone knows we are all a perfect version of ourselves when we're online-...I am actually very content!

I have been getting a lot of hours at the Orchard, and when combined with working at the grocery store, I have been working quite a few 12 hour days. As tiring as it sounds, it is actually not--and for that I am very, very thankful. I'm very thankful that God has given me so much strength to be able to work like I do. I'm so thankful that because of the extra income, I am not only working to pay bills, but I can now work to have some spending money on the side too! For instance, I bought a new set of bedding last week, all for pretty cheap (thank you Wal-mart!)

I'm pretty proud of myself too--because all of this, this is all me! Sometimes I belt "Independent Woman" by Destiny's Child in the car, just because I can. "Ladies it ain't easy bein' independent", well said Beyonce Knowles, well said.

Other than all of that, I'm truly happy because God has been opening my eyes. I've been focusing on all the wrong things...I think about money a lot; spending, paying bills, saving, working, hours, is it cheap?  Is it expensive? Groceries! I think about my jobs...and sometimes I get so far in my mind where I suddenly begin complaining about them I'm working two minimum wage $10 an hour jobs, and this person is working one job while making over $20 an hour...it's not fair. I'm 21 and I'm only working "little girl" jobs...I feel like I'm wasting my potential...I wonder what people are thinking about me... And this is EXACTLY where God steps in...actually, that is doctrinally incorrect. God never has to step in--He is ALWAYS there. So, this is EXACTLY where I finally turn to God and let Him transform my thoughts: I love my jobs! I love the feeling of the physical labour at the orchard, and I love all of the interesting and wonderful people I get to interact with at the grocery store! I'm thankful God has provided me with so much work and so much strength to do my work! So what if I'm not working in some uptown office and going home to a penthouse everyday--those things wouldn't make me happy! I'd be absolutely miserable working in an office!! And it doesn't matter what other people think of me and what kind of job I'm working or how much I'm getting paid, because this life isn't about that at all--this life is about loving others and being a light for God's kingdom.

...My job, my things, my friends, my boyfriend, my condo, my money, my car, my lack-of-anything does NOT DEFINE ME. Jesus Christ defines me. Be happy where you are and be happy with what God has blessed you with. Stop complaining and start thanking--and everything will fall into place!

Phew, there! I feel like I finally have my head on straight again.This life is not about me, it's about God and His will for me. :)

3 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed reading the part about the 'little-girl jobs' - I feel the exact same way sometimes, it can be so frustrating! I needed to read that today, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ron had a Masters degree and wiped old bums in a nursing home for 7 years - look at him now - a DR teaching voice, doing what he loves! Your time will come. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Better to love your job and get paid a little than to hate your job and get paid a lot.

    ReplyDelete